Remote medical coding and remote cancer registry have become very popular over the past decade in the HIM industry. On a daily basis, our company receives inquiries for remote coding and remote CTR positions. While there are many well-qualified professionals in the field, it should be noted that accurate coding and cancer registry abstracting are just the first of many ingredients that comprise a high level of customer service for our clients. Familiarity with various computer systems and Information Technology security will certainly set you apart from your competitors while applying for remote positions. Below is a brief checklist of some additional skills that we search for when evaluating remote HIM professionals:
1. Level of familiarity with HIPAA Privacy and Security Regulations and state-specific privacy
and security laws and regulations.
2. Level of computer proficiency
3. Appropriate computer hardware (modern PC and secure, high-speed internet connection)
4. Level of familiarity with various hospital EMR and abstracting systems
5. Ability to professionally communicate with IT personnel and hospital IT help desk support
6. Time management skills
Please note that the above is by no means intended to serve as an all-inclusive list. In order to provide our clients with the highest quality work product while maintaining optimum production levels, we are always searching for candidates with the above-mentioned skills. If your department is seeking to engage an HIM Outsourcing firm for remote coding or remote oncology data management, be sure to inquire about the company's remote staff. for example:
Does the company have an in-house IT Department?
How does the company screen its remote employee candidates?
What other in-house measures are in place to ensure the highest level of client satisfaction?